Did you find this page interesting?

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sanford Family- Helen Sanford Day's family



These two pictures come from a page from my journal I started in Mia-Maids (YW) Mutual. My Great Grandmother Mary Ellen Mendenhall Sanford (1871-1963) came to visit at Grandmother and Grandfather's home in Harmony Hills while my family was living there. The bottom picture is of Jessie (1897-1966), Helen's older sister and Mary Ellen holding Bradley "Brad" Sanford Ackerman (1956).

 I have only a few memories of my Great-Grandmother; I knew to be very quiet when she was visiting, she said many times- DON'T SLAM THE DOOR. Grandma had a wooden screen door with a spring. It slammed very easily. This is not a bad memory, just a silly memory of her, I also remember her being kind to us children, and that she also had very long hair pulled into a tight bun at the back of her head. I am sure there are more memories but not at this moment. 

I knew that my grandmother knitted, crocheted, and tatted. She had learned from from her mother! I used to sit and watch her crochet. She would sit on a hard backed chair against the wall and would crochet for what seemed like hours without looking down at what she was doing. (she probably could not see very well) At least this is what is always seemed like to me. She used very fine thread to tat and crochet, like sewing thread! She made many wonderful, beautiful doilies and hankies from her handy work.

Not a lot of memories as I said. I was eleven years old when she died at the age of 93, two years after this picture was taken. Since she lived in Springville Utah and we lived in San Jose California we didn't see her very often at all. I think she was a nice looking lady in her advancing years.

Susan Caroline "Carrie" Sanford Jolly (1908-2000), Mary Ellen Mendenhall Sanford &
Jessie Sanford Wickman (1897-1966) I beleive this would be at her 90th birthday party, see above article

I need to thank Lisa Hansen Fields for some of the pictures that I use from her collection that she has shared with me! This blog is all about sharing pictures and information! That is what Family History is all about- Sharing so Family can learn about Family!!
This is Ira Sanford Jr (1828-1878) and Susan Lucina Clark (1831-1907) Mary Ellen Mendenhall's in-laws




I hope if you have further information on this family you will feel free to add a post!







No comments: